What to look out, and up, for in January.
Our highlights of this month’s skies with the planets on offer to observers and imagers:
- Venus at greatest eastern elongation
- Mars a few degrees from Venus
- Jupiter in Virgo
- Saturn & Mercury in the morning sky
- Next up is the other solar system wonders of note in January:
- The Quadrantids meteor shower peaking on 3-4th January with a ZHR of around 40
- The largest asteroid, Vesta, at opposition passing through Cancer into Gemini
Then we each take a deep sky pick from our list of favourites for this time of year:
- Jen – M33, spiral galaxy in the constellation Triangulum
- Paul – NGC 2903, barred spiral galaxy in Leo
- Ralph – Messier 35, open cluster in Gemini
And we finish this sky guide with January’s moon phases.